in Lewisville, TX
What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an injectable anti-aging treatment unlike any other to date. It combats facial aging by prompting the body to naturally place lost collagen. The FDA-approved drug consists of poly-L-lactic acid, a biodegradable, biocompatible synthetic material similar to what is used to make dissolvable stitches. Used on its own or in combination with other aesthetic treatments, Sculptra offers beautiful results.
The treatment involves several injections into the deep layer of the skin, the dermis. This is deeper than dermal fillers are injected because the objective is different. Dermal fillers are deposited just beneath the skin where they can bind to water molecules and increase volume. We inject Sculptra into the dermis because its job is to stimulate collagen production.
What are the benefits of Sculptra treatments?
Sculptra offers several benefits, including:
- Minimally-invasive treatment. The provider uses a small needle to deposit PLLA particles into the dermis. The process takes 20 to 60 minutes and results in a little downtime if any.
- Results develop gradually. The PLLA of Sculptra provides a temporary scaffold for tissue volume while the body sends healthy new collagen protein to the treatment area. The long-term volume builds over a period of months as the body continues to produce collagen in the dermis.
- Collagen production isn’t just for wrinkles. Sculptra treatment brings more collagen to the skin, which can improve smoothness, softness, and firmness as well as volume.
- Treatment achieves natural-looking results. Sculptra injections work with the body to do what it once did: produce collagen. Results look natural because they are.
Am I a Good Candidate for Sculptra?
If you are considering Sculptra, it is best to consult with a board-certified doctor who is familiar with this treatment. Your consultation identifies your treatment goals and evaluates the areas of concern. You will need to provide your doctor with your health history to help confirm that Sculptra is the right treatment for you.
Generally, Sculptra is good for people who:
- Have begun to lose volume in one or more areas of the face.
- Can wait for the results. One advantage of Sculptra is that it works naturally. A disadvantage of treatment is that, because it works naturally, it takes time to achieve the intended result.
- Are in good health and do not have a chronic medical condition.
- Have healthy skin. Sculptra injections cause slight inflammation in the dermis so should be postponed if the skin is irritated from another condition, such as a rash or sun exposure.
- Can perform post-treatment massage if necessary. Patients are sometimes advised to massage the treatment area for a few days after Sculptra injections to properly distribute the PLLA through the dermis.
In what areas can Sculptra be used?
Sculptra works by spurring collagen production that, with repeat injections, continues for months. The series of injections work to repair the skin’s scaffolding, the dermis, which results in a number of benefits. The magic of Sculptra is not what injections do immediately but what they do overtime. The increase in collagen production remodels the dermis in the treatment area, making it thicker and firmer. This makes the treatment good for areas affected by volume loss. Examples include the temples and hollows of the cheeks. It is also used to reduce wrinkles around the nose and mouth. Additionally, Sculptra is good for restoring plumpness to bony areas like the cheekbones. It is not used under the eyes or on the lips.
How many treatments are needed?
Sculptra treatment typically occurs as a series of 4 to 6 injection sessions scheduled over several weeks. Each session may involve a different injection direction, resulting in a mesh-like pattern in the dermis into which collagen protein accumulates. The PLLA particles gradually get absorbed, leaving healthy collagen behind. This process takes time. It may be several months before the full effect of treatment is appreciated. However, that is part of what makes Sculptra appealing. It’s like aging in reverse!
How Long Does Sculptra Last?
Remembering that Sculptra is not a dermal filler but a collagen-stimulator, patients can expect to enjoy results for 2 or more years. The skin continues to age because collagen production does not occur without direct stimulation once we reach our mid-twenties. However, even the temporary increase provides lasting benefits.
Are there any side effects?
Sculptra has been used around the world since 1999. It does not contain animal components so is unlikely to cause allergic reactions. The most common side effects reported include temporary bleeding, swelling, itching, tenderness, bruising, redness, and lumps beneath the skin. Doctors use careful mixing and injection techniques to reduce the risk of side effects. The risk of lumps can also be decreased by following post-treatment instructions, particularly related to massaging the treatment area.
Schedule A Consultation
For more information regarding Sculptra facial rejuvenation, contact us today at 972.420.0023 to schedule a consultation. Our practice serves Lewisville and surrounding areas in Texas.