in Lewisville, TX
The amount of volume that you have beneath your skin can profoundly impact your appearance. We all know that we will lose some degree of volume, plumpness and contouring of our facial features, as we age. However, this loss can become a frustrating problem when the face appears flat or atrophied, or when lines and creases become deep and saggy. We are excited to help patients address these concerns with dermal fillers and, now, with Sculptra. Give our practice a call at 972-420-0023 and schedule your Sculptra consultation with Dr. Stuart Lipton today!
What is Sculptra?
Sculptra is an injectable anti-aging treatment unlike any other to date. It combats facial aging by prompting the body to naturally place lost collagen. The FDA-approved drug consists of poly-L-lactic acid, a biodegradable, biocompatible synthetic material similar to what is used to make dissolvable stitches. Used on its own or in combination with other aesthetic treatments, Sculptra offers beautiful results.
The treatment involves several injections into the deep layer of the skin, the dermis. This is deeper than dermal fillers are injected because the objective is different. Dermal fillers are deposited just beneath the skin where they can bind to water molecules and increase volume. We inject Sculptra into the dermis because its job is to stimulate collagen production.
Sculptra is called a dermal filler but, technically, it is a whole different kind of injectable. This product doesn’t just fill lines and creases, it rebuilds the matrix of collagen fibers beneath the skin that give it form and firmness. The FDA has approved Sculptra as a facial-volumizing filler and collagen stimulator that works by depositing poly-L-lactic acid into deeper layers of the skin. Initially, the PLLA in Sculptra adds structural support to the skin but, over time, as the product is absorbed, a new layer of collagen remains.
What are the benefits of Sculptra treatments?
Sculptra is appealing not only because it is a safe and convenient injectable treatment, but also for the following benefits:
- Minimally-invasive treatment. The provider uses a small needle to deposit PLLA particles into the dermis. The process takes 20 to 60 minutes and results in a little downtime if any.
- Results develop gradually. The PLLA of Sculptra provides a temporary scaffold for tissue volume while the body sends healthy new collagen protein to the treatment area. The long-term volume builds over a period of months as the body continues to produce collagen in the dermis.
- Collagen production isn’t just for wrinkles. Sculptra treatment brings more collagen to the skin, which can improve smoothness, softness, and firmness as well as volume.
- Treatment achieves natural-looking results. Sculptra injections work with the body to do what it once did: produce collagen. Results look natural because they are.
- Improved skin texture. While the primary goal of treatment is to rejuvenate facial contours, Sculptra’s stimulation of collagen also improves the surface layers of tissue.
- Lasting results. The effects of Sculptra are proven to last two years or more.
Am I a Good Candidate for Sculptra?
Many adults choose Sculptra for its unique properties and mechanism of action. Now that it is more well-known that collagen loss is one of the leading contributors to volume loss and aging skin, more people are looking for treatments that address this core concern. Other dermal fillers can temporarily improve the signs of aging by plumping the skin. Sculptra rejuvenates the skin more gradually and subtly, but also by getting to the root problem.
If you are considering Sculptra, it is best to consult with a board-certified doctor who is familiar with this treatment. Your consultation identifies your treatment goals and evaluates the areas of concern. You will need to provide your doctor with your health history to help confirm that Sculptra is the right treatment for you.
Generally, Sculptra is good for people who:
- Have begun to lose volume in one or more areas of the face.
- Can wait for the results. One advantage of Sculptra is that it works naturally. A disadvantage of treatment is that, because it works naturally, it takes time to achieve the intended result.
- Are in good health and do not have a chronic medical condition.
- Have healthy skin. Sculptra injections cause slight inflammation in the dermis so should be postponed if the skin is irritated from another condition, such as a rash or sun exposure.
- Can perform post-treatment massage if necessary. Patients are sometimes advised to massage the treatment area for a few days after Sculptra injections to properly distribute the PLLA through the dermis.
Some of the areas that can be improved with Sculptra include:
In what areas can Sculptra be used?
Sculptra works by spurring collagen production that, with repeat injections, continues for months. The series of injections work to repair the skin’s scaffolding, the dermis, which results in a number of benefits. The magic of Sculptra is not what injections do immediately but what they do overtime. The increase in collagen production remodels the dermis in the treatment area, making it thicker and firmer. This makes the treatment good for areas affected by volume loss. Examples include the temples and hollows of the cheeks. It is also used to reduce wrinkles around the nose and mouth. Additionally, Sculptra is good for restoring plumpness to bony areas like the cheekbones. It is not used under the eyes or on the lips.
How many Sculptra injections will I need?
Patients may need between one and three treatment sessions to achieve the best results. Individuals with multiple areas of concern can have each treated in the same sessions, which we schedule about one month apart. While some patients may achieve their desired outcome in just one Sculptra session, those with more severe signs of facial atrophy may want to schedule as many as six appointments. We can recommend a number of sessions once we have discussed your aesthetic goals and evaluated the current health of your skin.
Aftercare and Recovery for Sculptra
Patients might develop mild side effects such as redness and swelling at injection sites after their Sculptra appointment. To manage these, it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercise, excessive heat, and sun exposure for a day or two. Most patients go back to work and other normal activities immediately.
An aspect of recovery from Sculptra is waiting for results. This injectable is designed to work gradually. There may seem to be an immediate improvement, but this is an illusion created by swelling. The effects of Sculptra develop over several weeks as new collagen fills the areas in which injections have been applied.
How long do the results of Sculptra last?
Sculptra is exceptionally long lasting because it does not work like other dermal fillers. This injectable stimulates the production of collagen so that the very foundation of the skin can get a makeover. The new scaffold built for the skin can stay intact for two or more years. Patients can sustain their results with annual touch-ups.
Are Sculptra injections safe?
Yes. Sculptra was approved for cosmetic use in 2009. The drug was first used in 2004, though, to correct lipoatrophy in people diagnosed with HIV. The most common side effects associated with this injectable treatment are redness, swelling, bruising, and minor discomfort. Lumps can also develop beneath the skin. Because the effects of Sculptra are temporary, lumps can go away on their own, but this can take time. If lumps were to occur and look or feel bothersome, a patient can talk to the doctor about methods of expediting their breakdown.
Are there any side effects?
Sculptra has been used around the world since 1999. It does not contain animal components so is unlikely to cause allergic reactions. The most common side effects reported include temporary bleeding, swelling, itching, tenderness, bruising, redness, and lumps beneath the skin. Doctors use careful mixing and injection techniques to reduce the risk of side effects. The risk of lumps can also be decreased by following post-treatment instructions, particularly related to massaging the treatment area.
Schedule A Consultation
For more information regarding Sculptra facial rejuvenation, contact us today at 972.420.0023 to schedule a consultation. You can also fill out the form in our contact page, and our staff will help you set up your appointment with Dr. Stuart Lipton. Our practice serves Lewisville and surrounding areas in Texas.